Name of Unit-Safari Unit : World Religion
Copyright Info : This unit is Not to be included in any file sharing programs or groups, etc.
Description : World Religion is a Unit-Safari Unit that is a New Unit of August 2009. Compiled by Jodi Robertson.
The information here is for a wide range of ages so, please check first to make sure books, videos and links are appropriate for your own family. If there are blank sections, no information had been shared about that section.
When updating the older units, if materials look like they could be a copyright problem, search for the link. If the link cannot be found, leave the lesson out. For example a lesson plan copied from a website belongs to the website owner. Links to lesson plans and activities here represent materials that can be printed and added to your notebook for this unit.
Learning Objectives :
Many parents and teachers will need to create their own goals. You can compare the goals at these sites to create your own goals depending on how stringent your requirements need to be. All links have several suggested activities for different ages.
- Basic Course structure https://www.worldbook.com/free-educational-resources#tcos
- Maine as an example of state level requirements http://www.maine.gov/doe/ela/standards/index.html
- California state level requirements http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/
- http://www.mcrel.org/standards-benchmarks/ National Level
- Ontario Canada K-8 Expectations http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/8314/currgrid.htm
- Abeka Scope and Sequence http://www.abeka.com/HomeSchool/ScopeAndSequence.aspx
- The series of books called “What your “nth” Grader needs to know” May also be helpful nth representing the grade your child is in. This series only Goes to grade 8
Bible References :
Look up and Compare Scriptures at the sites below. In your Journal note how the different translations and versions help you to have a fuller understanding of the text.
- http://ebible.org/bible/ASV/ American Standard Version
- http://www.audiotreasure.com/indexKJV.htm King James Bible in Mp3
- http://www.audiotreasure.com/webindex.htm World English Bible in Mp3
- http://www.ccel.org/wwsb/ World Wide Study Bible
- http://www.e-sword.net is free software that will allow you to compare many translations at the same time
- http://www.watchtower.org/bible/index.htm New World Translation
- Online Timeline http://www.letusreason.org/Cult11.htm
- Sacred Texts Timelinehttp://www.sacred-texts.com/time/timeline.htm
- Colorized Timelinehttp://cominganarchy.com/2009/07/09/timeline-of-world-religions-beta/
Online Dictionary http://dictionary.reference.com
Free downloadable software to look up words http://wordweb.info/free/
Vocab flashcards http://quizlet.com/506821/world-religions-vocabulary-flash-cards/
Vocab flashcards http://www.studystack.com/flashcard-4964
Book Resources :
- The Usborne Encyclopedia of World Religions (Internet-Linked), ISBN-10: 0794510590
- The Illustrated Guide to World Religions by Dean Halverson, ISBN-10: 0764228382
- Humanism, What’s That?: A Book for Curious Kids by Helen Bennett, ISBN-10: 1591023874
- The Kids Book of World Religions by Jennifer Glossop, ISBN-10: 1550749595
- One World, Many Religions: The Ways We Worship by Mary Pope Osborne, ISBN-10: 0679839305
- Unitarian Universalism Is a Really Long Name by Jennifer Dant, ISBN-10: 1558965084
- Meet Jesus: The Life and Lessons of a Beloved Teacher, ISBN-10: 1558965246
- The Story of Religion by Betsy Maestro, ISBN-10: 068817146X
- Many Ways: How Families Practice Their Beliefs and Religions by Shelley Rotner, ISBN-10: 0761328734
- God’s Paintbrush by Sandy Eisenberg Sasso, ISBN-10: 1580231950
- Religion (DK Eyewitness Books), ISBN-10: 0756610877
- Christianity (DK Eyewitness Books), ISBN-10: 0756622468
- Islam (DK Eyewitness Books), ISBN-10: 075661077X
- Judaism (DK Eyewitness Books), ISBN-10: 0789492407
- Buddhism (Eyewitness Books), ISBN-10: 0789498332
Poetry & Music :
Video Resources :
- http://www.learner.org/resources/browse.html Video resources viewable online
Software Resources :
- http://classroom.jc-schools.net/SS-units/PPT-Games/7th-5religions-game.ppt Online game
- http://www.enlightengamesinc.com/spirit-game-1024.html Enlighten boardgame $
Clip Art :
- http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,775969,00.gif Charts & Graphs
- http://www.planetpals.com/peacesymbols.html Scroll to bottom of page for clip art
Field Trips :
Art, Pictures, and Craft Ideas :
Activities & Lesson Plans :
- http://www.pbs.org/teachers/search/resources/?q=world+religion&x=0&y=0 PBS Teachers lesson plans
- http://www.mrdonn.org/religions.html Mr. Donn’s World Religions and Philosophies lesson plans
- http://www.utc.edu/Departments/edast/ncta/chatt/pdf/Hannah-LP1.pdf Introduction to Major World Religions
- http://www.create.cett.msstate.edu/create/classroom/lplan_printer.asp?articleID=168 Five Major World Religions lesson plans for junior high
- http://www.primaryschool.com.au/humansocietyresults.php?kla=Human%20Society%20and%20Its%20Environment&unit=People%20and%20Their%20Beliefs Lessons and webquests
- http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/religion/ Ancient and Medieval Religion
- http://www.utc.edu/Departments/edast/ncta/chatt/pdf/Hannah-LP2.pdf Introduction to Buddhism
- http://www.utc.edu/Departments/edast/ncta/chatt/pdf/Hannah-LP3.pdf Exploring Buddhism
- http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_g.htm Downloadable books
- Hindu are non-proselytising. That means if your not born into that religion, you can’t “convert”.
- http://www.schoolhousetech.com This company gives away two free software worksheet factories one for Basic math and one for wordsearch utility that will make wonderful complements to this unit when you include the clipart listed in the clipart section.
- http://www.startwrite.com This program makes nice reports and handwriting worksheets for the unit
- http://www.teachers-pet.org will turn any text into a worksheet I like to use it with the Wikipedia text or texts from Project Gutenberg. Open up a Microsoft Word “New” and then open the template and add ins’ for teacher’s pet and add one paragraph at a time and click the appropriate tab for the type of question you want.
- http://jalt.org/global/newsletter/41religionschart.pdf Fill in the blank
- http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/soc_studies/religions/multiplechoice1.html multiple choice
- http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/soc_studies/religions/ many worksheets, a subscription might be necessary on this site
- http://www.religioustolerance.org/wrd_srch.htm Wordsearch
Complete Units :
- http://www.42explore2.com/religion.htm Online unit includes vocabulary
- http://www1.fccj.edu/sgallowa/REL2300/syllabus/REL2300_Syllabus.pdf World Religions Syllabus
Information and General Resources :
- http://chsweb.lr.k12.nj.us/kstokes/prologue/world_religions.htm Discusses what religion is and quotes on religion
- http://www.lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=2135 Compares Missouri Synod Lutheran to other Christian denominations
- http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-religion-map.htm World Religion Map
- http://www.wamware.com/world-religions/map.htm Map of World Religions
- http://www.wamware.com/world-religions/comparative/index.htm Comparative View of World Religions
- http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm The Big Religion Comparison Chart compares the origins, beliefs, practices, and texts.
- http://www.scribd.com/doc/14110114/The-Big-Religion-Chart Downloadable version of The Big Religion Chart
- http://youththeology.com/WorldReligionsComparisonChart.html World Religions Comparison Chart. This handy chart makes it easy to see the similarities and differences commonalities between 30 major world religions.
- http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/origtime.htm Origin of major religions
- http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/Religion.html Information on six religions includes multi-faith religious faith calendar
- http://www.godweb.org/religionsofworld.htm Information on the 12 most practiced religions in the world.
- http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/cultural/religion/ Brief introduction to several world religions
- http://www.omsakthi.org/religions.html Introduction to major world religions
- http://dictionary.babylon.com/religion Religion Dictionary
Web Information :
- http://www.cloudnet.com/~edrbsass/edthe.htm Lots of information for Catholic study. Note: The site has spread out links for diet pills.
- http://www.religionfacts.com/ Facts, rituals and customs
Evaluation Ideas :
Assemble a three ring binder and please include:
- A copy of this unit
- Course Description (Highschool Students)
- Write a summary about books read for the unit
- Your Lapbook created for the unit (K-8 Students)
- Any worksheets or activity books created with Teachers Pet or the SchoolhouseTech Software
- Your journal and its contents
- Your Log of activities from Homeschool Tracker https://www.homeschooltracker.com/free-homeschool-tracker-basic-edition/ Its Free!
- Your Timeline