Name of Unit-Safari Unit: Australia Unit Study
Copyright : This unit is Not to be included in any file sharing programs or groups, etc.
Description: Australia is a Unit-Safari Unit that is an Updated Unit as of October 30, 2011. Compiled by Jodi Robertson.
The information here is for a wide range of ages so, please check first to make sure books, videos and links are appropriate for your own family. If there are blank sections, no information had been shared about that section.
When updating the older units, if materials look like they could be a copyright problem, search for the link. If the link cannot be found, leave the lesson out. For example a lesson plan copied from a website belongs to the website owner. Links to lesson plans and activities here represent materials that can be printed and added to your notebook for this unit.
Learning Objectives :
Many parents and teachers will need to create their own goals. You can compare the goals at these sites to create your own goals depending on how stringent your requirements need to be. All links have several suggested activities for different ages.
- Basic Course structure https://www.worldbook.com/free-educational-resources#tcos
- Maine as an example of state level requirements http://www.maine.gov/doe/ela/standards/index.html
- California state level requirements http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/
- http://www.mcrel.org/standards-benchmarks/ National Level
- Ontario Canada K-8 Expectations http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/8314/currgrid.htm
- Abeka Scope and Sequence http://www.abeka.com/HomeSchool/ScopeAndSequence.aspx
- The series of books called “What your “nth” Grader needs to know” May also be helpful nth representing the grade your child is in. This series only Goes to grade 8
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Australian_history Wiki Timeline.
- http://www.readwritethink.org/parent-afterschool-resources/games-tools/timeline-a-30246.html Online Time Line Creator
- http://www.ourtimelines.com/create_tl_2c.html this tool starts at the year 1000 and goes to the current day.
- In the original unit there was a list of Characters and some dates that looked as though they could have been copied and pasted from another unit. This was also true about the Vocabulary words such things were left out.
- http://wordweb.info/free downloadable software to look up words.
- http://dictionary.reference.com online Dictionary
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia Primary text to make activities from with Teacher’s Pet and Geosafari cards from. This link has sub links to Vocabulary as well as economic, and cultural links. We especially enjoyed the links to Flora and Fauna.
- Tasmania: A Wildlife Journey, Joyce Powzyk, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books, 1987
- Down Under: Vanishing Cultures Series, Jan Reynolds, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers, 1992
- The Australian Echidna, Eleanor Stodart, Houghton, Mifflin Company, 1991
- Kangaroo, Caroline Arnold, William Morrow & Company, Inc., 1987
- Joey: The Story of a Baby Kangaroo, Hope Ryden, Tamborine Books, 1994
- Tasmanian Devil On Location, Kathy Darling, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books, 1992
- Australia by Mary Virginia Fox
- A Ticket to Australia by Sean McCollum
- A Walk on the Great Barrier Reef by Caroline Arnold
- An Aboriginal Family by Rollo Browne
- A Picture Book of Australian Animals by Kellie Conforth
- Australia by D.V. Georges
- Colors of Australia by Lynn Ainsworth Olawsky
- Baru Bay, Australia by Bob and Wendy Weir
- Rainbow Bird: An Aboriginial Folktale From Northern Australia, Eric Maddern, Little, Brown and Company, 1993
- Where the Forest Meets the Sea, Jeannie Baker, Greenwillow Books, 1987
- Dreamtime: Aboriginal Stories, Oodgeroo, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books, 1993
- The Flying Emu And Other Australian Stories, Sally Morgan, Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1992
- Punga: The Goddess of Ugly, Deborah Nourse Lattimore, Harcourt Brace & Company, 1993
- My Farm, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1994
- Dingoes at Dinnertime by Mary Pope Osborne (chapter book)
- Possum Magic by Mem Fox
- One Less Fish by Kim Michelle Toft (a counting story with beautiful illustrations of fish from the Great Barrier Reef)
- Destination Australia by Jonathan Grupper (life of Australian animals)
- Wombat Goes Walkabout by Michael Morpurgo (wombat looking for his mother encounters other animals)
- Dover Book on Shore Birds with samples http://www.doverpublications.com/teachersampler/1101/teacher8.htm
- http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4731 Seven Little Australians Turner, Ethel Sybil, 1872-1958
- http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5346 Journals of Expeditions of Discovery into Central Australia and Overland from Adelaide to King George’s Sound in the Years 1840-1: Sent By the Colonists of South Australia, with the Sanction and Support of the Government: Including an Account of the Manners and Customs of the Aborigines and the State of Their Relations with Europeans — Complete Eyre, Edward John, 1815-1901
- http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4974 Australia Twice Traversed, Illustrated, Giles, Ernest, 1835-1897
- http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4219 The Art of Living in Australia ; together with three hundred Australian cookery recipes and accessory kitchen information by Mrs. H. Wicken Muskett, Philip E., -1909
- http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4976 Expedition into Central Australia Sturt, Charles, 1795-1869
Poetry, Music & Audio Files:
- http://readinglady.com/Poetry/index.html tips on using poetry in the Class Room
- http://www.rhymezone.com lessons and activities about poetry
- http://www.poetryteachers.com lessons and Archives of Poetry
- Make your own Audio books! http://audacity.sourceforge.net is a nice WAV recorder and http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm Converts WAV to mp3 for smaller more shareable files. http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast06oct_1.htm shows what some scientists believe might happen to the continents in the future. What do you think? Make a radio show either explaining your own prediction or as a first person account of the Continents supposedly reconnecting.
- Words that Rhyme with Australia http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=Australia&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l Use these to create you own poems here are the one I came up with
There once was a lady named Thalia
Who lived in the land of Australia
She loved her goat
So she bought it a coat
But he still ate all her azalea
By Dorinda Oakes Dec 21 2005
- Alliteration Poems work well with this unit also.
A= Awe Inspiring Landscapes
U= Untamed Animals
S= Southern Hemisphere
T= Tough Outdoorsman
L= lovely Sites
I= Indian Ocean
A= Adelaide City
- http://imaginesongs.com/poems/alligator.html Really Cute Crocodile and Alligator poem!
- What’s a Mammal http://www.acme.com/jef/science_songs/mammal-32.mp3
- How milk is made http://www.acme.com/jef/science_songs/milk-32.mp3
- Although cows are Not a native species their arrival in Australia had an effect on it but this song isn’t about that its more about milk, its quite funny actually! http://188.8.131.52/fkm/jameshersh_cowdriveway.mp3
- The Face of the earth is changing http://www.acme.com/jef/science_songs/face_of_the_earth-32.mp3
- Perry the Parrots ABC song http://184.108.40.206/fkm/HappyHatters_PerryTheParrotABCs.mp3
- Going to the Beach http://220.127.116.11/fcm/DianeRose_GoingToTheBeach.mp3
- The Australian version of the manatee is the dugong http://18.104.22.168/fkm/jptaylor_singaboutthemanatee.mp3
- Under the sea http://22.214.171.124/fcm/BrianWaiteBand_UnderTheSea.mp3
Video and Software Resources:
- Nearly all units can be supported with “shipping only” software I have used http://www.planetcdrom.com for quite some time, but http://www.fcdsoft.com also looks good.
- http://www.yourchildlearns.com/puzzle_aus.htm Map Game
- Finding Nemo
- Kangaroo Jack
- Donna Young’s Instructions http://donnayoung.org/homeschooling/games/geocards.htm
- Educational Insights the makers of Geosafari Provide its users guide online https://www.educationalinsights.com/text/EI/downloads/guides/8865_GeoSafariLearn_G.pdf
- Join a group that has Geosafari as a discussion https://homeschoolingonashoestring.com/homeschool-safari/geosafari-games/
- Make cards
- Timeline events to their date Matching card
- True or false cards
- Make a mini set of geography cards matching a name, geological object, or economical information to location.
- Cloze cards about historic Figures.
- Matching cards about Flora and Fauna of Australia
- Board games
- Ideas for making your own board games at Mary’s Site http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/GamesForLearning/ideas.html
- Try your hand at making a file folder game to match this topic. Here are some sample File folder game boards. http://www.nuttinbutkids.com/filefolder.htm
- http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/filefolders.asp File folder games you could use as a guide to make games to fit this unit.
- Shape of the continent can be used to teach any skill in Filefolder Games.
- Momma Kangaroo to her Joey can be used for any skill as well in Filefolder games.
- Make a Memory game from the plants and animals in the different Biomes in Australia.
- Kangaroo Hopping Races
- Crocodile eats the biggest number game We used a Sock Puppet and Popsicle sticks. This worked with decimals, fractions and pre algebra problems as well as early math skills.
Worksheets, Activities, and complete units:
When updating the older units if materials looked like they could be copyright problem I searched for the link if the link could not be found the lesson is left out. For example a lesson plan copied from a website belongs to the website owner. Links to lesson plans and activities here represent materials that can be printed and added to your notebook for this unit. In an endeavor to keep these units small and flexible I have copied the search link where possible. This allows you to see all the lessons on a site rather than just those I felt were pertinent to my objectives. This simplifies the setting up of lesson plans in Homeschool Tracker.
- http://www.schoolhousetech.com This company gives away two free software worksheet factories one for Basic math and one for wordsearch utility that will make wonderful complements to this unit when you include the clipart listed in the clipart section.
- http://www.startwrite.com This program makes nice reports and handwriting worksheets for the unit
- http://www.teachers-pet.org will turn any text into a worksheet I like to use it with the Wikipedia text or texts from Project Gutenberg. Open up a Microsoft Word “New” and then open the template and add ins’ for teacher’s pet and add one paragraph at a time and click the appropriate tab for the type of question you want.
- http://atozteacherstuff.com/printables/cat_maps.shtml maps
- Make a Venn diagram comparing how Marsupials or Monotremes are different from placental mammals http://teachers.teach-nology.com/web_tools/graphic_org/venn_diagrams
- Complete units
- Collections of Lesson Plans
- http://www.musc.edu/cando/ausdwnun/ausecoa1.html Biome and Animals
- Individual /lessons
- http://www.adprima.com/aborigines.htm aborigines
- http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/pages/4772.shtml maps
- http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com Outback Steak House is an Australian themed Restaurant.
- Does your state have a zoo with any Australian Animals? Visit them to find out.
- Local Harbor if you live near the coast.
- Visit a Opera House in your Area
Art and Craft Ideas:
- http://www.dltk-kids.com/world/australia/ Crafts
- http://www.coloring.ws/australia.htm Coloring
- http://ausinternet.com/ettamogah/colour.htm Coloring
- http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/kids/aus_nz_e.html Diorama of Australia animals
- http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/kids/pier_e.html Diorama of a Harbor
- http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/building/opera_e.html Sydney Opera House
- Globes http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/science/globe_e.html
- Globes http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/science/earth2_e.html
- http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/science/timetable_e.html Time Zones
- http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/science/whale_e.html whale
- http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/science/manta_e.html manta
- http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/science/squid_e.html squid
Information and General Resources:
- http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/index.htm Light Houses
- http://www.csu.edu.au/australia/flag.html flag
Evaluation Ideas :
Assemble a three ring binder and please include:
- A copy of this unit
- Course Description (Highschool Students)
- Write a summary about books read for the unit
- Your Lapbook created for the unit (K-8 Students)
- Any worksheets or activity books created with Teachers Pet or the SchoolhouseTech Software
- Your journal and its contents
- Your Log of activities from Homeschool Tracker https://www.homeschooltracker.com/free-homeschool-tracker-basic-edition/ Its Free!
- Your Timeline